To help address the threat of obesity to our communities’ health, Group Health and Public Health – Seattle & King County will host the King County premiere of HBO’s documentary “The Weight of the Nation” — a comprehensive look at America’s obesity epidemic in — Wednesday, May 9th at the Pacific Science Center.
- The event will include a reception featuring healthy food and drinks.
- HBO will screen the fourth film of THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION series “Challenges.”
- Attendees will have a chance to ask local experts questions during a town hall-style discussion.
Panel participants include:
- Dr. Doris Boutain, a community health nurse and educator who works with underserved populations and communities.
- Dow Constantine, King County Executive.
- Dr. Ben Danielson, pediatrician at Odessa Brown Children’s Clinic.
- Dr. David Flum, general surgeon with expertise in weight-loss surgery.
- Dr. Paula Lozano, pediatrician and senior investigator at Group Health Research Institute, where one of her focuses is childhood obesity prevention and control.
- Keith Seinfeld has been KPLU’s Health & Science Reporter.
HBO’s spotlight on obesity, “The Weight of the Nation”, debuts on May 14, exclusively on HBO, and is comprised of four documentary films, a three-part HBO Family series, fourteen bonus shorts, a social media campaign, a book published by St. Martin’s Press and a nationwide community-based outreach campaign.
Further information on the series can be found at http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com.
WHEN: WEDNESDAY, MAY 9, 2012
5:30 P.M. – Reception
6:30 P.M. – THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION Screening – “Challenges”
7:30 P.M. – Panel Discussion
WHERE: PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER
200 Second Ave. North, Seattle, WA 98109
WHO: WELCOMING REMARKS:
Bryce Seidl – President and CEO, Pacific Science Center
Keith Seinfeld – Health & Science Reporter, KPLU Radio
Doris Boutain, R.N., Ph.D. – Associate Professor, Psychological and Community Health, University of Washington School of Nursing
Dow Constantine – King County Executive
Ben Danielson, M.D. – Clinical Director, Odessa Brown Children’s Clinic
David Reed Flum, M.D., M.P.H. – Subject, THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION, and Associate Chair of Research and Director of the Surgical Outcomes Research Center (SORCE), University of Washington
Paula Lozano, M.D., M.P.H. – Assistant Medical Director, Group Health Department of Preventive Care